The baby shower memory game is a classic and always goes down so well at a baby shower. It is easy to play and allows guests of all ages to get involved.
What makes the game wonderful is that there is not much that goes into preparing the game for the party. You can use items that the mom-to-be already has for her baby, or items she is given at her baby shower after opening the presents.
Here is how to play the baby shower memory game, and some ideas to make it fun!
How Do You Play Baby Shower Memory Game?
The baby shower memory game is wonderfully simple. You place baby items onto a table and cover them all with a baby blanket. When everyone is ready, you remove the blanket from the items, let them have a look, and cover it back up again. They then have to try to recall all the items they saw or as many as they can.
Here is a step-by-step on how to play:
- Place items on a table or tray, where they can be viewed clearly. Put 20 items or more down, so there are enough for guests to try to remember while being difficult to get all correct. Make sure they can all be seen easily. Cover the items with a baby blanket.
- When the guests are ready, get them to circle around the items. Give each player a piece of paper and a pen or pencil.
- Remove the blanket from the items and let guests look at all the items for 2 minutes. Make sure no one is writing at this point! Only looking.
- After 2 minutes, cover the items with the baby blanket and guests need to try to write down as many items as they remember seeing. It is important to not let them write down what they see when the blanket is off the items, otherwise, there is no point!
- You can allow your guests as much time as you want for them to write down as many items as they remember seeing. A two or three minute timer should be enough though!
- Once guests are ready, remove the blanket again and they can check to see how many they get right. You could get guests to write their names down on their piece of paper and hand it to someone else to mark their answers.
- The person (or people) who have the most correct items written down wins.
If you do not have enough baby items to set out, you could always cut images of baby items out of a baby magazine, catalog, or print them out.
Stick these to a poster board or hang them up, and guests can have a look at the pictures and try to memorize them before you take them down and let guests write their answers down.
Baby Shower Memory Game Item Ideas
Here are some ideas on the items that you can lay out for the guests to memorize:
- Teething ring
- Baby washcloth
- Hooded towel
- Nursing pads
- Diaper pins
- Nursing Pads
- Stuffed animal
- Night light
- Teething gel
- Baby shampoo
- Baby lotion
- Baby powder
- Parenting book
- Nail clippers
- Baby blanket
This is really fun and simple game to play at a baby shower. It’s fun to see who has a great memory and who’s memory is so bad they make up items.
Also, when the timer is counting down, I find it hilarious how some can’t remember basic baby item names.
Plus, if your baby shower is co-ed, some men don’t know what many baby items are called. One of my male guests either forgot or didn’t know the word for ‘bib’ and put down ‘neck towel.’
I laughed so hard I thought I was about to into labor right then and there.
Baby Shower Memory Game With A Twist!
This is a clever and slightly devious way to make this game twice the fun!
Have one person walk around the room with the tray of items and everyone takes a look. Once they are done, have that person take the tray to another room.
Now, tell the guests they have to list the accessories the person carrying the tray had on! Rings, necklace, sunglasses, hat, everything.
This fun twist will show you who is truly observant! After having a laugh and awarding a winner of that round you can have the real round (no twists) and play the memory game like it was meant intended.
Psssst.. Before you go! Having a baby is expensive, consider hosting a diaper raffle at your baby shower as well!